Natural gas in one of the safest energy sources available; it is non-toxic and has no odor in its natural form. Natural gas will not ignite by itself, but combined with air and a spark it will catch fire.
When not burned completely natural gas produces carbon monoxide (CO), which can cause flu-like symptoms including:
headaches, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness or fatigue, burning eyes, confusion and loss of coordination
Over 10,000 people receive medical treatment and hundreds die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning. In many cases, victims are aware they are not well, but become too disoriented to save themselves. Particularly vulnerable are pregnant women, small children, senior citizens and people with heart or respiratory problems.
It is always recommended to have a working CO detector in your home or business if you use natural gas as an energy source.
In its natural state natural gas has no smell, so your utility company adds a chemical odorant called methanethiol to help make natural gas leaks easier to detect. If you smell rotten eggs, it’s most likely not a well hidden Easter egg, but a natural gas leak, leave the building and call your Utility Company right away. You can find an emergency hotline on most utility invoices if there is not emergency number call the customer service number.
Learn more about Natural Gas Safety and Emergency Procedures:
Nipsco, Stay Safe “Natural Gas Leak Emergencies“
Semco Energy, Safety and Emergency Information “Reporting a Gas Leak”
DTE Energy, Safety “Natural Gas Safety”
Citizens Gas, Safety “If You Smell Gas”
Michigan Gas Utilities, “Emergency Procedures”
Nicor Gas, Safety “Emergency Information”
Consumers Energy, Safety “Gas Leaks and Safety Tips”
Peoples Gas, Safety “Emergency Procedures”
North Shore Gas, Safety “Emergency Procedures”