Written by Michael Vrtis President of Realgy Energy Services in response to the Forbes article “Fracking Is Misunderstood, It’s The Key To Energy Self-Sufficiency”
This article articulates that the US should embrace fracking on the basis that it can lead to energy independence. Given the free-trade mantra advocated for years if not decades I chuckle at the thought of independence in energy.
So what does fracking mean to you and the US?
- Fracking will evolve as a technique for extracting natural gas.
- Its impact on the US cannot be understated; this is like finding a Saudi Arabian natural gas field in our backyard!
- It has the potential to keep the US below the world market price for natural gas for decades to come (currently by almost $5.00 / Dth)
- Manufacturing will return to the US to take advantage of lower energy costs
- Air pollution will decrease in the Northeast US
- The EPA will regulate the fracking fluid and will require ground water and aquifer monitoring; this is a responsible position and will prevent restricting the fracking technique
Instead of politician trying to seek energy independence I would like to see them embrace natural gas and encourage its use as a transportation fuel. This will reducing oil imports of which 60% is used as transportation fuel.